Case Study: Airport Enhanced by LoRaWAN Technology
Amid the continuous growth of air traffic and increased demands for energy efficiency and customer satisfaction, an airport turned to Skiply to deploy a private LoRaWAN network throughout its facilities. This network connects around 3,000 sensors spread across all terminals, enabling real-time measurement of temperature and passenger satisfaction. The collected data is integrated into the airport’s systems, such as Centralized Technical Management (CTM) and Building Technical Management (BTM).
LoRaWAN Technological Benefits for Airports
- Extended Connectivity: The LoRaWAN network provides significant range and excellent penetration through buildings, ensuring reliable network coverage across the entire airport.
- Low Power Consumption: LoRaWAN sensors consume minimal energy, allowing devices to have an autonomy of several years.
- Increased Responsiveness: Real-time data collection enables airport teams to react quickly and adjust parameters to ensure passenger comfort and satisfaction.
Ecological Benefits of Low-Power Sensors
- Energy Optimization: Real-time temperature monitoring and data integration with CTM and BTM systems enable more precise management of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, reducing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Sustainability: The low power consumption of LoRaWAN sensors and their long lifespan help reduce electronic waste and associated maintenance costs.
- Cost Reduction: Improved management of HVAC systems and integration of data with CTM and BTM systems enable the airport to achieve significant energy savings, thus reducing operating costs.
- Enhanced Customer Satisfaction: Monitoring passenger satisfaction allows for rapid identification of areas for improvement, optimizing services offered and strengthening customer loyalty, positively impacting revenues.
- LoRaWAN Infrastructure: Skiply deployed ten LoRaWAN antennas, which communicate with a dedicated cloud network server via a 4G connection.
- Data decoding and connection with third-party systems.
- Provision of customer satisfaction terminals.
- Supervision and operation of the network and sensors.
Partners: Chirpstack (Network Server), Multitech (Gateways), GSF (Installation), and Orange (4G)
The implementation of a private LoRaWAN network by Skiply and the integration of data with CTM and BTM systems have significantly improved the airport’s performance in terms of energy management, passenger satisfaction, and cost reduction. Thanks to this innovative technology, the airport is now better equipped to meet the challenges of the aviation sector and cater to the growing expectations of travelers regarding comfort and services.